Friday, January 6, 2012

Railroad Tracks

310 Pounds & 56" Waist

In November, I broke the 300 mark and officially had a waist the size of Railroad Tracks. I started going to the gym a couple times a week. When I started to slip in my routine a little a doctor friend texted me and got me right back on track at another gym. This lasted until the week before Christmas.

I went to my physician finally throwing my arms in the air seeking medication to help (Phentermine). Despite my efforts I felt just as heavy and was getting depressed that I was unable to control my excessive eating at mealtime (4-5 eggs at breakfast, 10oz of meat with macaroni at dinner, 2 loaded sandwiches at lunch) just for the flavor. I went to her knowing that I would have to show that I was trying and just needed that little extra help and was pretty sure that showing her my check-ins at the gym along with compliance with other medical issues she would write the prescription for at least a month to give me a little motivation.

During the initial weight in at the office I was surprised - 299 pounds! I lost weight! How could I lose weight with me eating so much and minimal exercising (30-45 minutes / 2 times a week)?

Well you guessed it I was not prescribed medication as seeing the result of mere exercise a couple times a week was motivation to continue with exercise. She also told me to just cook a couple eggs or make just one sandwich and if I was still hungry afterwards to go back and cook a couple more/make another sandwich. At the same time I am thinking in the back of my head, "Does she know the cost of propane to cook two meals at the same mealtime?" :)

Christmas came and our kids got bicycles so I had to finally build my son's confidence up to ride (failed at least a half dozen times) and this time doing so with a broken arm (yes, he broke his other arm, this year!). This lead to a small quarter mile walk to the nearby park the first day then a half mile the next day. Finally this lead to a 5+ mile round trip trek to a nearby lake (I walked/hiked while the kids rode their bikes). The following days we found various ways to make this trek (shortcuts).

Now for the past couple weeks I have made the trek a daily morning 30-40 minute up a steep hill then a flat walk along the lake and am down to eating, believe it or not, one egg in the morning (this morning with a slice of sourdough and other times with honey, etc). For lunch I down to a reasonable amount of food and can handle a little yogurt or 1/2 sandwich with dinner consisting of a reasonable portion of food.

In closing, I am restarting my blog entries and going to avoid the feeling of having to do an entry everyday by numbering them by the day and will make entries as time allows with my main focus will be on exercise and health. Until my next entry I wish you the best in your efforts and just start small.

Today's Weight/Size: ~300 (4XL)

No comments: