Saturday, June 16, 2007

Day 17 - Marathon














Besides my goal to walk 1,000 Miles in the next 10 months, I am now ready to challenge myself to run the 2007 Long Beach Half Marathon on October 14, 2007, followed by the Orange County Full Marathon on January 6, 2008. These are both going to require major adjustments to my lifestyle starting now.

After writing about running, I just cannot wait to see the track and run. Am I going to make it? That is not a question. My question is, "How much weight am I willing to run with during the marathon?" (Do I want to carry a hundred pounds for 13 1/2 miles?)

What am I willing to do in order to get my body in shape and get rid of this weight? Daily gym with interval jogs along with light muscle toning. In addition, I will be starting a fast in order to clean out my system.

I will be drinking Glaceau (now owned by Coke) vitaminwater, 4-5x a day for the next few weeks or month. This will be tough at the start along with everyone around me eating, but as I said when I started this journey, "When is enough, enough?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alan,
I am training at 10:30 per mile pace. I ran 3 miles last night at 31:30 min. total.
I ran the LA Marathon at a pace of 4.5 miles/hour is what I wanted to hit. A pace of 4.5 miles per hour is at 13.33.. per hour. I typically will run a mile, walk for a min. or so to get my heart rate down then run the next one. 4.5 miles per hour average is good when you are talking about going 1/2 or full marathon.
For a half marathon, first priority to me is finishing. period. Next is time, I am hoping for the SFS race to come in under 2 1/2 hours. But under 3 hours for the LB or SFS is a fine pace. 11-13 min mile pace is fine. You have time to train for October 14. Take it easy, work out M,W,F and start out with walking for 5 minutes and then run for 5 minutes. Alternate those and slowly build up to running one full mile.
As you advance, set-up a long run on the weekends. Early Saturday a.m. runs while it is still temperature cool work good for me, it is what I do now. Start those off with me when you build up to running 3-4 miles without too much pain/discomfort. The plan that I use is 3-4 miles on M/W/F and an early long run on Sat/Sun of 5-6 miles.
Building up the Sat/Sun miles to 10-11 two weeks before the race and then tapering back down. Best to train up to 10/11 and not pull something/tear something and miss the race all together. Go to Snail's pace, spend $60 or so on a pair of shoes that match the way you run. They will watch you run and get you a shoe that supports your style.
Do not just go buy any old pair of shoes. The most important thing you can do is have the right shoes to prevent shin splints, knee/joint/foot pain, etc.
I'll sign up if you have? Are you signed up?

Alan said...

DG,
I am registering right now based on a 12:00 minute mile pace. I am entering an estimated finish time of 2:42:00. I looked over Hal’s 12-wk training and is does not seem difficult, but he does state that a person needs to be in good physical health. This is where my initial four weeks will be focused.

I picked Tourette Syndrome TEAM TSA Long Beach 2007

- Alan