Thursday, June 14, 2007

Day 15 - 5 Pounds

Good News! This morning I did a weigh-in and dropped 5 pounds. Over the last couple weeks I started walking after work (even a half mile when I was injured) and sharing meals with the wife instead of filling my own plate. These simple changes have resulted in a little weight loss. I am not declaring the 49” waist as the tape measure showed exactly 49” and we know how things vary from hour to hour. But I have dropped below 265 pounds from over 270 pounds.

Tonight I am reinstating my gym membership and will begin a more targeted exercise routine to help lose the weight. My physician also wants me to take a multi-vitamin once a day. The walking and eating “sensible” are a long-term change and were not that difficult to adjust. Of course I am still going to have those “big” meals, but not every other day.

As a formal California Interscholastic Federation Finalist in track I find the same method and motivation to succeed now as I did in High School. In track you are not racing against others, you are racing against yourself. You strive for pace and your first 100-meter time should be the same as your last 100-meter time. Regardless of the other runners your difference is determined by your ability to maintain solid times throughout your run. I can hear my coach saying “sixteen five” and yelling at me when I was too fast, “Your under sixteen Alan, SLOW IT DOWN!” (However, I would always push myself into the 15’s for the last 300 meters to help cut off about 3-5 seconds)

The difference between sprinters and runners is short-term versus long-term results. A sprinter is quicker, but is not able to maintain the same speed for a long time. My goal is to make this change a marathon run and have fun.

No comments: