Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Day 14 - Church Scam

How do I start this post? I am lost for words at what to say ... Last night I saw a news piece on a wonderful (keep reading) resource coming from the “Church” that helps people like me. It was shown as a discipline to God’s Word and pretty much nothing else to lose all the weight.

Understanding that discipline exists in every activity we undertake, it prompted me to visit the site. I attempted to look for some quick materials, including a simple biblical verse and was only successful in finding one short video clip and a $200 price tag for materials. This made me continue my search in finding a real resource for biblical guidance.

I came across a wonderful and well organized blog of a fellow “FatBlogger” [Yes, we have an official title for us that are (or were) fat, improving our life and blogging.]. The Diet Pulpit (http://thedietpulpit.wordpress.com/) is the blog of Lady Rose and she posted an article this morning (Church of Thin) that awoke me to this newest money making scam.

What makes a true Church? The open door [come as you are (that is rich or poor, clean or dirty, and so forth)] to those who want to enter the Church. I have never had to pay upfront for anything from the Church and a site selling a message does not fall into this definition of the family of ministry. We give back to God and the Church though our stewardship and not through forced giving in order to receive God’s Word.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for mentioning the post. I totally agree with you that prayer and church should be free.

I did some searching and found some bible verses that I hope are helpful (since you mentioned you were looking for a few in the comments you left)

"For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he..." (Proverbs 23:7)

"...for I am the LORD, who heals you." (Exodus 15:26)

"Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be
transformed by the renewing of your mind." (Romans 12:2)

"You were taught...to put off your old self....to be made new
in the attitude of your minds..." (Ephesians 4:22-23)

Jesus answered, "It is written: `Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.' " (Matthew 4:4)

Philippians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

2 Timothy 1:7
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline.

Hebrews 12:11
No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.

Philippians 3:14
I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

Isaiah 41:l0
So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

I am not an expert on the Bible, and I am sure there are many more but I hope this helps.

Health and Happiness, Lady Rose

Alan said...

Thank you Lady Rose and it is so true that we do not live on bread alone.